Thursday, June 3, 2010

Artist Mentors

This is something I have been thinking about for some time. An artist mentor would provide encouragement, personalized support, training, advice, life experience and possibly assessment and feedback on a regular basis through studio visits. The novice artist would gain professional development, technical skills, confidence and quite possibly a friend with a similar interest. Just this week I had the great pleasure of visiting a fellow member of the Markham Group of Artists at her home studio. She spent two hours with me discussing her art and techniques , showed me her studio, shared many tips and even gave me a sample of her yupo paper to try. We planned to attend an art show at the end of this week together as a result. I would encourage all of the veteran artists out there to offer to spend even as little as two hours with a newbie artist. I am sure even the established artist would gain a great deal from this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment